When the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) fails and do not contract, it will allow the movement of gastric acid from stomach to back upward. This cause the sensation of burning in throat and your lower chest this is called acid reflux. Many research revealed that bacteria which grows inside the stomach can be a cause of acid reflux. According to the surveys conducted nearly 50% of Americans experience burping, bloating and chest pain associated with heartburn and acid reflux, at some stage of their lives.
Different symptoms of acid_reflux include chest pain or heartburn, gas, bitter taste bloating, burping, feeling uneasy in laying_down or bending.
Does Coconut Oil Helps To Reduce Acid Reflux?
- Coconut _oil coats the digestive tract and throat, reducing sensation of burning and other acid reflux caused irritation.
- Lauric acid found in coconut_oil is a natural_antiseptic which kills the bacteria and fungus that cause the acid reflux.
- Overeating can be the cause of acid reflux because your stomach struggles to break_down quickly consumed large amount of food. Taking coconut oil before meal will make you fell full thus prevents overeating. Also this helps you to lose wait.
- The (MTCs) medium_chain triglycerides in coconut oil are easily digestible and they have many health benefits.
- Because coconut oil is alkaline, it reduces inflammation, neutralizes acid, and helps in repairing heartburn caused tissue damage.
- Coconut_oil triggers the chloride production, which is compulsory for stomach acid production which is helpful in proper digestion.
How To Use Coconut Oil To Treat Acid Reflux:
You can use coconut oil alone or you can combine it with different natural ingredients which helps in keeping digestive system healthy and also helps in promoting proper digestion. Follow the remedies below and use the one which is most helpful to you.
1. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Taking coconut_oil three times daily by mouth relieves the sensation of burning in the chest and throat and prevents heart burn.
- For avoiding upset stomach, at start take ¼ teaspoon before every meal increase gradually to one teaspoon.
- Add coconut oil to juice, water, coffee, tea, or smoothies.
2. Yogurt Smoothies and Coconut Oil
- Take Greek yogurt (any_flavor) half cup, crushed ice half cup, one banana, vanilla one teaspoon and coconut oil (extra virgin) one teaspoon mix in blender and blend until become smooth.
- Greek yogurt is helpful in restoring the balance between bad and good bacteria in your digestive system.
3. Coconut Butter for Baking
- Use coconut butter instead of dairy butter when you bake. It will give you the same benefits and also you will get coconut flavor in your treats.
4. Coconut Meat
- From mature coconut’s white meat coconut oil is extracted. Coconut meat eating promotes healthy eyes, skin and hair, and also stops heartburn.
- Try adding to your smoothies or desserts, freshly shredded coconut.
5. Coconut Oatmeal
- Take coconut milk two cups and boil and stir in one cup of steel_cut oatmeal.
- Reduce flame and simmer until oatmeal is done to taste.
- Remove from flame and stir in shredded coconut two tablespoon, chopped almond one tablespoon, cardamom powder one teaspoon, coconut oil one teaspoon and raw honey one teaspoon.
- To get rid from heartburn eat this.
6. Diluted Coconut Oil
- In a sauce_pan, heat extra_virgin coconut oil four teaspoons and eight ounces water.
- Stir thoroughly until combines.
- Drink throughout all day slowly to get rid of acid reflux.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey with Coconut Oil
- Mix extra_virgin coconut oil one tablespoon, apple_cider_vinegar one tablespoon, one teaspoon of organic, raw honey, and fresh juice of aloe vera one teaspoon.
- Stir this mixture into warm water one glass and drink.
- Drink when you feel symptoms of acid reflux.
8. Coconut Oil Pulling
- Put 3 teaspoons of extra virgin coconut oil into your mouth.
- Put extra_virgin coconut oil three teaspoons in your mouth.
- Roll & swish it around for five minutes, then spit it out.
- Bacteria and other_toxins are pulled out from your mouth so they can not cause the problem of acid reflux by entering to your digestive system.
- Repeat before breakfast every morning.
9. Coconut Water
- Coconut water has high amount of natural enzymes, fiber, electrolytes, and potassium, all of these promotes proper digestion.
- Coconut water soothes and cools the digestive tract and throat while neutralizing the acids.
- Drinking coconut water one time in morning and one time before you go to bed can give relief from acid reflux.
- Or drink coconut water one glass when you feel acid reflux symptoms for neutralizing stomach acid levels.
- Mix kefir with coconut water for getting probiotics that keeps the digestive_system healthy.
10. Coconut Milk
You can find coconut milk in many grocery stores. If you want to make yourself below is the method.
- Separate the coconut flesh from coconut and then grate it.
- Mix the grated_flesh into a hot water bowl and while stirring let it soak ten minutes .
- Pour soaked, grated_coconut in cheesecloth & squeeze it to extract its milk.
- Strain 2 to 3 times.
- Use coconut milk instead of dairy milk when cooking or baking and also use in oatmeal, cereal, and smoothies.
Does Coconut Oil Cause Acid Reflux?
Precautions and Tips:
Follow the below advise to get better results when treating acid reflux with coconut oil.
- For avoiding nausea, take small doses of coconut oil at start and then increase slowly as your tolerance increases.
- Some studies indicate that, because coconut oil contains more saturated fat than any other oil, it may contribute to cardiac illness. Others claim that, because it contains only medium-chain fatty acids, it is not harmful.
- Instead of large meals three times a day eating small meals six times a day is best.
- When using these remedies to treat children for acid reflux use half amount of coconut oil as recommended for adult.
- Sugar is found in coconut milk in high amount, so reduce consumption of sugar when using these remedies for heartburn.
- Consult your doctor before using these remedies of coconut oil for acid reflux treatment.
- Before starting coconut oil regular treatments, try in small amount for making sure that you are not allergic to it.
- Use extra_virgin coconut oil instead of cooking oil you use regularly.
- If remedies of coconut oil does not reduce symptoms of acid reflux within three days then consult your doctor.
Have you tried any of these methods for treating and preventing acid reflux with coconut oil? Tell us which ones worked best for you!